Friday, February 25, 2011

Where Does one fit....

In the daily task of things... I often find myself wondering...."Where Do I Fit?" I'm working on art here....and making jewelry there. Juggling Wife-hoodum ( I like to make up words), and don't forget being Mom (Gosh I hate that my kids call me that....what happened to Mommy?!??!). I use to lose myself daily trying to find WHERE I FIT.

This week my 8 year old son came home from school and told me they were having "class meeting"....at first I just continued on with my task of dropping all art related things and fixing a yummy snack. I stop for a second to look up at him and he replied......"it's because of me". "WHAT!?!??!......what did you do?" Me.. THE MOTHER REPLIED..... For those of you that know D'jole.....he is the sweetest boy with the biggest heart. He replied "It wasn't anything I did...it was what the other kids did to me." I looked at him deeply....he wasn't hurt, sad, or even mad. SOOOOOOOO what in the world could have been so bad that the teacher had to have a "CLASS MEETING?" Well....he begins to tell me "Mom I love things like science, reading, music and art!!!! But LOTS OF SCIENCE! The other kids tease me......I didn't want to tell you but one kid pushed me off the slide at recess and I had to go to the nurse..... AND they don't let me play tag...." I lOST IT.....hurting my kid....NOPE I WILL NOT DEAL........I CAN NOT DEAL.....
I had a long talk that night with the Head of the Home A.K.A Shad... and he said pray about it........these guys are in Gods hands.

I started the next day in DEEP DEVOTION.... then set out for a brisk walk.....talking out loud to the Lord as to WHAT am I'm suppose to do?? ---------" Can't handle this.....I WILL NOT handle this......I JUST NEED TO HOME SCHOOL END OF STORY!!!!!!!----"Leave in my hands." Is what I heard.....not really happy with that..... I just continued with my day and trying to solve the problem. I had a great conversation with my friend Shauna.. after my walk/rant........We talk about this GREAT school that we had both agreed was "THE SCHOOL"...So I ventured out as a Mommy on a mission to get my kids IN.... well to no avail----I was stamped "DENIED"....and believe you me I TRIED EVERYTHING...I had friends in the school system trying to pull whatever they could for me....
Bummed.....very bummed I heard that voice again-----"Leave it to me....."---I see it... door shut....ok I will listen to You...
So back in prayer I go......

A Few hours later D'jole and Yaz walk in after coming home on the bus....I give both of them a great big hug and then begin to have a talk with D'jole.....I ask him how was his day...."well....I guess it was ok...." I then proceed to ask him what did he mean by that....He begins to tell me--" Mom we're different...and that's ok....I don't want to "fit-in"....and my teacher likes me."
I wanted to cry.... Cuz....I think all parents want their kids to fit in.......

His teacher called me after the little 30 min. of Mommy (yeah I said it!) and D'jole session. She was pleased on how mature D'jole was for his age....
I tried to talk to D'jole about the phone call with his teacher but he was on to what he wanted to share with his class tomorrow------ "The Scat Guide" (I'm thinking great poop talk) and the "Roly Poly Playground" ...I thought.....both of these thing are really neat for him to share with his class.....

So.....where do WE fit in......we don't.

Be not conformed of this world...............

2 comments:

  1. I can't stand mean kids, but what a testiment to both you and Shad as parents. Be strong in your convictions and be true to self. In the end, those two things are so much more important in life than fitting in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne...it IS HARD!!!!!!! But to see how D'jole "deals"....ughhhhhhh??!?!?!??!
    I was worried about that......because it's not normal.....he heard me say that and he and Jordan both said...."Common.....when have we ever been NORMAL?"

    ReplyDelete